Excerpt from Arin Greenwood's novel, "Tropical Depression"

"I’m learning that when someone comes back from a tropical island, that person’s associates want to hear how the steel drum band played all night and the girls in the coconut bras put on quite a show. They do not want to hear confusing stories about parasailing accidents and the CIA’s deep involvement with Russian refugees."

"And then I remember what they said to me when I was new: people who come to this island are missionaries, mercenaries, or misfits. I’d gotten so caught up with being a misfit I’d forgotten about the mercenaries and the missionaries. Maybe it’s nicer to forget about the mercenaries, live in their world but not recognize them for what they are. I don’t want to see mercenaries around me, even if they’re there."

"The lure of imaginary beaches and sunsets is still strong. So is the lure of driving the car until I find a road that pleases me, a road that’s well-paved and scenic, one that’ll keep me from getting lost, which I know won’t exist no matter how hard I look, but the unknown road is compelling all the same."

No comments:

Post a Comment